Agenda and draft minutes

Nottingham Local Access Forum
Wednesday, 27th April, 2022 6.30 pm, MOVED

Venue: Remote - To be held remotely via Zoom - https://www.youtube.com/user/NottCityCouncil. View directions

Contact: Emma Powley  Email: emma.powley@nottinghamcity.gov.uk

Items
No. Item

13.

Apologies for absence

Minutes:

Cllr Rosemary Healy

Rob Kirkwood

Margaret Knowles

Dave McCrory

John Rhodes

Cllr Linda Woodings

14.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 295 KB

To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 12 January 2022

Minutes:

The minutes of the meeting held on 12 January 2022 were agreed as a correct record.

15.

Design Quality Framework

Verbal update from Laura Alverez, Senior Principal Design and Conservation Officer

Minutes:

Laura Alvarez, Heritage and Urban Design, spoke to the Forum and highlighted the following points:

 

(a)  the Design Quality Framework consists of a series of documents and guidance for those submitting planning applications, with criteria and information that the local authority requires at the time of submission, with minimum thresholds for quality;

(b)  one of the guides is on community engagement, with the aim on making developers consult the local community and involving them in decisions;

(c)  24 other local authorities are looking at the Framework as a model to follow;

(d)  the Framework includes guidance on access and rights of way, althopugh these are not part of policy yet.

 

Forum members suggested that that guidance be looked into around cycle parking, with this given more prominence. Suggestions can be sent to Laura Alvarez, or discussed in the Urban Room, which is a neutral online space for discussion.

16.

Sub Group updates

16a

Update from the Walking Sub Group

Minutes:

Helen Hemstock announced that the Forum had been nominated for a Living Streets Charles Meyer Award and received a commendation.

 

Liz Cordle informed the forum that work on self-guided walks is ongoing, with some more to be published soon in Basford, Mapperley and St Anns. The Notts Greenspace Walking Network is developing, to promote walking for wellbeing. The Notts Guided Walks website is live, and guided walks have recently restarted.

16b

Update from the Planning Sub Group

Minutes:

Hugh McClintock updated that the sub-group continues to examine planning applications in pairs to see how they affect rights of way, or that rights of way could be extended,

 

Planning applications need to be more ambitious with their plans for cycle parking in order to meet targets set by the DfT LTN 1/20. The Active Travel England body has just been set up which will be monitoring against these targets.

16c

Update from the Definitive Map Sub Group

Minutes:

Nick Hynes updated the Forum that work of the sub-group was impeded by lockdown as archives were closed and they could not talk to members of the public.

 

John Lee reported that he will be receiving additional support to help with his definitive map applications, and that the Deregulation Act will be repealed.

17.

Update on E-Scooter Sub/ Focus Group

Minutes:

John Lee reported that he is planning to recruit new members, with the aim of attracting some e-scooter users. He has also asked the Council if they know of any existing groups that the forum could link into.

 

HH to discuss with the vice-chairs following the meeting.

18.

Update on foot/ cycle bridge proposals

Verbal update from Paul Horn, Team Leader Major Projects and Public Transport

Minutes:

Keith Morgan provided an update to the Forum and highlighted the following:

 

(a)  a design has been finalised and consulted on, with most in favour of the design and location. Discussions have now begun with contractors to build the bridge around costs and timelines;

(b)  the planning application has been delayed due to these discussions but will be submitted before the end of the calendar year. It is anticipated that the bridge will take around a year to construct.

19.

Update on walking and cycle schemes

Verbal update from Keith Morgan, Principal Senior Transport Planner

Minutes:

Keith Morgan provided an update to the form and highlighted the following:

 

(a)  schemes funded by the Active Travel Fund were supposed to be complete by the end of March but this deadline has been extended. These schemes include a new crossing on Low wood Road, a new crossing on Derby Road, improved crossings at the junction of Haydn Road and Nottingham Road, and a new crossing on Friar Lane. The closure of Victoria Embankment to through traffic will be extended and a permanent change will be consulted upon;

(b)  ongoing schemes funded by the Transforming Cities Fund include major works around Broadmarsh, extension of the Western Cycle Corridor to London Road, and a segregated cycle path along Station Street. A stepped cycle path is planned up Hucknall Road to the City Hospital as well as schemes on Wigman Road, Beechdale Road and Carlton Road;

(c)  the Island Site will include through routes for cyclists and the developers are keen to attract both cyclists and pedestrians. A series of consultation events will be announced shortly.

20.

Review of sub groups and members

Minutes:

John Lee informed the forum that he is conducting a review of the sub-groups as their memberships have decreased.

 

JL to send the current sub-group memberships by email, asking would like to join them or move to another group. He will also welcome ideas for additional sub-groups.

21.

Update on Local Access Forum recruitment 2022

Minutes:

John Lee informed the forum that the Council will be posting recruitment messages on its social media pages, and putting up posters.

 

Forum members suggested contacting groups with disabled interests, and from different areas of the city.

 

JL to make posters available at Loxley House for members to pick up and distribute.

 

HH to coordinate an email to be sent out to interested groups.

 

 

22.

Items for future agendas

Minutes:

Suggested items from form members included:

 

·  Planning White Paper.

·  Living Streets.

·  Update on Broadmarsh.

·  New footbridge planning application (joint meeting with county council’s LAF)

·  Highway Code changes.

·  Active Travel England.

23.

Any other business

Minutes:

None.

24.

Date of next meeting

13 July 2022, 6:30pm

Minutes:

6.30pm on 13th July 2022