Agenda and draft minutes

Greater Nottingham Light Rapid Transit Advisory Committee
Tuesday, 12th July, 2022 2.00 pm

Venue: Ground Floor Committee Room - Loxley House, Station Street, Nottingham, NG2 3NG. View directions

Contact: Kate Morris  Governance Officer

Items
No. Item

1.

Appointment of Chair

Minutes:

Resolved to appoint Councillor Audra Wynter as Chair of this Committee for the municipal year (May 2022 to April 2023)

2.

Appointment of Vice Chair

Minutes:

Resolved to appoint Councillor John Ogle as Vice-Chair of this Committee for this municipal year (May 2022 – April 2023)

3.

Confirmation of Membership

Nottingham City Council

Nottinghamshire County Council

Cllr Sam Gardiner

Cllr Jim Creamer

Cllr Rosemary Healy

Cllr Eric Kerry

Cllr Adele Williams

Cllr John Ogle

Cllr Audra Wynter

Cllr Francis Purdue-Horan

Vacancy

Cllr Gordon Wheeler

 

 

Advisory Members

Organisation

Roger Bacon

Travel Watch East Midlands

Justin Donne

Nottingham Federation of Small Business

Chris Roy

Nottingham Trent University

Lorraine Salt-Pulford

Nottingham City Disability Involvement Group

Jim Thomas

Nottinghamshire Better Transport

Vacancy

Pedals

Helen Hemstock

Ridewise

Vacancy

East Midlands Chamber of Commerce

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Minutes:

The Committee noted the current membership.

4.

Apologies for Absence

Minutes:

Councillor Rosemary Healy – On Leave (sent substitute)


Justin Donne – Nottingham Federation of Small Businesses

Helen Hemstock  - Ridewise

Chris Roy – Nottingham Trent University

Jim Thomas – Nottinghamshire Better Transport

 

Andrew Conroy – Chief Operating Officer, Tramlink Nottingham

5.

Declarations of Interests

Minutes:

None

6.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 228 KB

Minutes of the meeting held on 15 March 2022, for confirmation

Minutes:

The Committee confirmed the minutes of the meeting held on 15 March 2022 as a correct record and they were signed by the Chair of that meeting.

 

7.

NET Operational Performance and Progress Update pdf icon PDF 677 KB

Report of the Head of Operations, Nottingham Trams

Minutes:

Trevor Stocker, Head of Operations for Nottingham Trams introduced the NET Operational Performance and Progress update covering February to May 2022 to the Committee. He highlighted the following information:

 

(a)  Following the further easing of restrictions passenger number are increasing again. There has been a particular uptick in passengers traveling for social and leisure reasons;

 

(b)  Along with the increase in passengers, there is also an increase in anti-social behaviour. Work continues to take place with Nottinghamshire Police and CCTV footage of captured incidents is being used to progress investigations;

 

(c)  There has been an increase in incidents of vandalism and damage to network property. In particular the newly installed ticket vending machines have been targeted, which is disappointing. Tram windows have also been the target for damage;

 

(d)  Both uniformed and non-uniformed Police patrol the network at various times of day to discourage anti-social behaviour.

 

(e)  Annual track renewal is due to take place from Wednesday 27 July to 8 August at Hyson Green Market. No trams will run between Wilkinson Street and The Forest, but a full bus replacement service will be scheduled and staff will be on hand to assist. These works may add a couple of minutes to journeys;

 

(f)  At the beginning of April a multi-operator contactless payment system was successfully launched. This enables customers to touch on with their mobile devices and the app calculates the cheapest fare for their journey. This works across the Tram network, Nottingham City Transport, and C4N busses. It is the first multi Operator, contactless payment system outside of London;

 

(g)  A network wide fare evasion campaign has been running since March, highlighting the importance of ensuring all passengers pay for using the network. With the support of Nottinghamshire Police fines of up to £70 have been issued;

 

(h)  NET have been involved and supported the Consent Coalition Safety of Women at Night project including a wrapped tram in a bid to prompt discussion around issues of consent;

 

Committee members asked a number of questions and made comments, the following information was highlighted:

 

(i)  Anti-social behaviour on the network is not an issue that can be addressed by Nottingham Trams alone. Work alongside the Police, youth services, and outreach all offer support. A number of outreach events take place across the Network to build relationships and provide alternative options for young people;

 

(j)  All reports of anti-social behaviour across the Network are monitored. Some are not as obvious as others, such as groups loitering, which in itself is not ASB but can develop into it. NET staff liaise with Police who are on patrol and where an incident escalates CCTV footage can be used for speedy identification;

 

(k)  Following incidents that disrupt the network significantly there is a review looking at lessons that can be learned in order to improve response in the future. There was recently a Police incident at Old Market Square that disrupted tram services. This incident has not been detailed in the published report as it falls outside the February to May time period. Trams were turned to try and keep services running where possible. Further feedback will be bought to the next committee meeting, including an assessment of NET response;

 

(l)  The engineering works taking place at the end of July coincide with 2 key events. The first event is Nottingham Pride celebrations. In previous years, Tram services have been halted for a short period to allow the parade to safely cross the tracks. As the event has grown trams will now be turned at the station and at the Royal Centre for about an hour which will ensure safety of the parade and continuation of services. The second event is the Riverside Festival. Services have been increased on the Friday and Saturday to facilitate attendance;

 

(m)The Station and the Royal Centre are places where the trams can be turned. It is not possible to turn them closer to the Square for the Pride parade. Other measures will also be in place as they were during the Forest celebration event to ensure safety and security;

 

(n)  The report mentions phasing out signage encouraging mask wearing on the Network. This is taking place in line with government guidelines, which have been followed throughout the pandemic. Signage and the language used has been updated regularly throughout the pandemic to comply with government advice. Some Committee members questioned whether this was the right course of action considering the nationally increasing numbers of Covid cases.

 

(o)  Committee members highlighted that with an increase in “crowd” type events the likelihood of spread of Covid-19 was higher, especially via public transport networks and with the onset of flu season in autumn there is likely to be a resurgence of cases. Some Committee members expressed the strong view that continuing to support mask wearing should be encouraged in order to protect citizens and the infrastructure of the City.

 

(p)  Committee members asked that NET seek legal and public health advice around signage changes before making alterations and for a specific agenda item updating the committee be bought to the next meeting;

 

(q)  Reliability and punctuality performance is well within target at 96.1% and 93.9% respectively.

 

The Committee thanked Trevor Stocker for his update and noted the content of the report.

 

8.

Tramlink Update

Update from the Chief Operating Officer, Tramlink Nottingham

Minutes:

Andrew Conroy had submitted apologies and so no verbal update was available to the committee.

 

Committee members requested a written update be circulated relating to the last period and that a written report be provided to the committee along with other papers going forward.

 

9.

Issues Raised by Committee Members and Citizens pdf icon PDF 13 KB

Report of NET Project, Nottingham City Council

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Andrew Holdstock, NET Project, Nottingham City Council indicated that there were two issues raised for consideration.

 

The first issue was around young people congregating in cars in the Toton Lane area. The following points were highlighted during discussion:

 

(a)   NET met with the citizen, and the Police in early July to discuss the matter outlined in the published report. Following this meeting, Police increased patrols in the area and CCTV footage was monitored in a bid to identify vehicle owners.

 

(b)  Registered keepers of vehicles have been identified where registration plates of the vehicles are visible on CCTV and fines have been issued sending a strong message to the group that anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated;

 

(c)  On some of the reported occasions the CCTV footage has not captured anything and so slight changes were made to the positioning of CCTV cameras;

 

(d)  Communication has been strengthened between the Police and the Tram network and a further meeting has been arranged between parties for September to monitor the situation and to assess further action;

 

(e)  Dealing with anti-social behaviour when it becomes criminal is a role for the police. The citizen had reported to both the Police and to the Tram network and once incident numbers had been matched up across the two organisations it was possible to review CCTV footage;

 

(f)  There was some initial talk of a Dispersal Order for the area, but to move to this step there would need to be a history of multiple fines in the area. The Network will continue to liaise with the Police and pass CCTV evidence over so that it can be progressed accordingly;

 

(g)  Police have targeted patrols in the area to times when incidents are more likely to happen. Engagement work is taking place with the young drivers to educate them around safety and alternative options;

 

(h)  The reporting citizen is happy with the actions being taken, and the progress that has been seen. There is a plan of action in place, strengthened communication between the Network and Police and reports of anti-social behaviour are being collated;

 

(i)  Committee members agreed that cooperation between the Network and the Police had been good, and thanked Trevor for the work to tackle this issue.

 

The second issue raised was around mobility scooters blocking wheelchair bays and as a consequence of moving, blocking access to the tram for wheelchair users. The following points were highlighted in discussion:

 

(j)  Mobility scooters are less manoeuvrable and when they move  out of the wheelchair bays it takes time, this is delaying wheelchair users boarding the tram and there have been instances where the tram leaves before the wheelchair user can board, separate designated entrances for mobility scooters and wheelchair users was requested;

 

(k)   A briefing to tram drivers will be produced to ensure they are aware of the issue and ensure that they leave a little extra time when wheelchairs are boarding. Trevor Stocker informed the Committee that the Help button is available at all tram stops, allowing users to speak directly to the control room who can then advise the driver that additional time may be given for boarding. In addition to this, help points are available on-board trams, to enable customers to speak directly to the driver for assistance when needed;

 

(l)  Separate entrances for different mobility aids is not likely to be a workable solution, as there are a wide range of mobility aids requiring different considerations; 

 

(m)Committee members asked that consultation with users take place to consider a workable and practical solution, designated bays on the floor of trams were considered too;

 

(n)  Committee members requested an update following consultation on what actions can be taken to improve user experience and a full report be bought to the September committee.

 

10.

Work Plan pdf icon PDF 11 KB

Proposed work plan for 2022/23

Minutes:

The committee considered the work programme presented in the published papers.

 

Members asked a number of questions and the following points were highlighted in discussion:

 

(a)  An annual maintenance programme detailing major track renewals is submitted to the City Council and large pieces of planned work are communicated through the committee. NET attend the safety advisory group and liaise with partners and organisations around large events that may affect the network services. However not all repairs can be planned to avoid large events, as the works are often reliant on contractors and availability of specialist equipment. Minimising disruption to citizens and to the city is always a key consideration;

 

(b)  Trevor Stocker is happy to facilitate a visit to the depot for Committee members where they can tour the facility and see the behind the scenes operation of the Network..

 

11.

Future Meeting Dates

To consider meeting on the following Tuesdays at 2pm:

13 September 2022

13 December 2022

14 March  2022

Minutes:

Resolved to meet on the following Tuesdays at 2pm:

13 September 2022

13 December 2022

14 March 2022

 

12.

Exclusion of the Public

To consider excluding the public from the meeting during consideration of the remaining item in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 on the basis that, having regard to all the circumstances, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information. 

 

 

Minutes:

The Committee  decided to exclude the public from the meeting during consideration of this/ the remaining agenda item(s) in accordance with Section 100A(4) of the Local Government Act 1972 on the basis that, having regard to all the circumstances, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighed the public interest in disclosing the information, as defined in Paragraph(s) 1 and 2  of Part 1 of Schedule 12A to the Act.

 

13.

Issues raised by Committee Members and Citizens

Report of NET Project, Nottingham City Council

 

This report is exempt from publication under paragraph number 1 and 2 of Schedule 12A to the Local Government Act 1972 because it contains information relating toinformation realting to an individual, and information which is likely to reval the identiy of an individual and, having regard to all the circumstances, the public interest in maintaining the exemption outweighs the public interest in disclosing the information.

 

It is not in the public interest to disclose this information because the individual is a member of the public.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

Trevor Stocker, Head of Operations for Nottingham Trams summarised the details of the last commincation brought to the Committee. The Committee carefully considered the information provided, and discussed the matter, giving their conclusuions as detailed in the exempt minutes.