Venue: LB 32 - Loxley House, Station Street, Nottingham, NG2 3NG. View directions
Contact: Mark Leavesley
Apologies for absence
Councillor Barnard )
Councillor Raine )
Councillor Rule ) other City Council business
Councillor Saghir )
Councillor Williams )
Councillor Kandola - no reason given
Councillor Liversidge - personal
Councillor Neal - annual leave
Declarations of Interests
If you need advice on declaring an interest, please contact the Governance Officer above, if possible before the day of the meeting
Last meeting held 27 November 2018 (for confirmation)
The minutes of the meeting held on 27 November 2018 were agreed as a correct record and were signed by the Chair of the meeting.
Report of Director of Community Protection
The Committee considered a report of the Director of Community Protection.
Councillors on the Committee visited Notts County Football Club sports ground to carry out an inspection, accompanied by colleagues and members of the Safety Advisory Group, including Fire and Ambulance Service representatives.
Justin Tose, Commercial Manager and Holder of the General Safety Certificate at Notts County Football Club, facilitated the visit and attended the meeting to answer questions from the Committee.
Paul Dales, Operations Manager, Safer Business, presented the report, detailing the main issues, such as the change in the Certificate Holder, electrical and fire safety management work, the deviations from the Green Guide and scope of the proposed Certificate.
In so far as the deviations were concerned, Committee were assured as to the suitability of the mitigation measures in place to deal with the lack of a main telephone connection within the First Aid Room, which avoid the risks associated with mobile phone telecommunication networks.
In relation to the 2018/2019 football season, it was noted that a number of matters occurred which are relevant to the Club and safety at the ground, notably:
· Amanda Fletcher, Commercial Director was the holder of the General Safety Certificate until 30 June 2019 when it was transferred to Justin Tose, Commercial Director;
· Justin Tose has confirmed his awareness of the legal and procedural requirements regarding ground safety and he has the full support of the Board to oversee all matters relating to ground and public safety; he is deemed to be a ‘qualified person’ and in an active managerial position with authority to prevent contraventions of the terms and conditions of the Certificate;
· Notts County Football Club were relegated from the English Football League at the end of the 2018/2019 season and because of this, the Meadow Lane Stadium no longer meets the designation criteria set out in Schedule 2 of the Safety of Sports Grounds (Designation) Order 2015. As the ground has capacity for over 10,000, this means that the formal designation of the Meadow Lane Stadium had been reassigned and designated under Schedule 1 of the Order;
· Three match day inspections took place during the season, undertaken by one or more of the Community Protection, Safer Business team (a combination of an Environmental Health Officer, Principal Environmental Health Officer and the Safer Business Operations Manager). There have also been a number of non-match day inspections and meetings during the season by Environmental Heath Officers to assess and promote safety issues;
· Since the last report to Committee in July 2018, there has been a continuation in the maintenance of match day safety management systems at the Club. The key areas of discussion during Safety Advisory Group (SAG) meetings in the past year are summarised below:
i. Fire Safety Management – There has been continuation of implementation of risk assessments and action plans. Progress has continued with the maintenance of fire safety and fire marshals’ policy and management plans;
ii. Electrical Safety – There has been continued progress implementing the structured approach ... view the full minutes text for item 4.