SACRE is the 'Standing Advisory
Council on Religious Education'. Since 1944 every Local Authority
is required by law to have a SACRE.
The responsibilities of SACRE are:
· to provide advice to the Local Authority (LA) on all aspects of its provision for RE in its schools (this does not include Voluntary Aided Schools);
· to decide whether the LA's Agreed Syllabus for RE needs to be reviewed and if so, to ensure that this is completed;
· to provide advice to the LA on Collective Worship in its schools (this does not include Voluntary Aided or Voluntary Controlled Schools);
· to consider any requests from Headteachers to hold Collective Worship that is not of a broadly Christian character;
· to advise on matters relating to training for teachers in RE and Collective Worship;
· to publish an Annual Report of its work.
Lead Officer: John Dexter, Education Director 0115 8762724 firstname.lastname@example.org
Support officer: Catherine Ziane-Pryor. Email: email@example.com